My social media platforms have been filled over the last few days with posts about HealtheVoices. The application deadline has been and gone. Yesterday people received their emails saying that they were accepted to HeV20 or were waitlisted or did not get in at all.
It fills me with joy and sadness. Sadness because I made so many friends from HeV19 that I won’t be able to see this at HeV20. With my health the way it is there is no way I can make the long travel without health consequences and be able to enjoy the conference. I am really frustrated by my health and I have always been able to beat it, get on top of it but not this time.
I am so thankful to have been able to meet some wonderful people who have stayed in touch with me. They included me in their group conversations welcomed me into their fold and I just felt like one of the gang.
I am excited though that thanks to modern technology and the wonders of prednisolone and predsomnia I will be able to log on and watch the HeV conference live from the comfort of my own bed.
My favourite moments from HeV19 were:
- At the opening session being pulled up for wearing a matching “plaid” shirt. Thank you Gabriel Nathan. You are excused as we have so many more matchy things!!
- Being given a mahoosive bag of swedish fish from Kathy who we actually ended up put on the same table too!!
- Presenting about being a patient partner in the same session as the awesome Tonya Hegamin. Her books are brilliant.
- Having the mick taken out of me for my breakfast choice but then getting a care package of “breakfast soup” socks from AnnMarie. Also lip syncing Spice Girls with her Brady and Robert too.
- Meeting Scott White the company chairman of J and J and bonding over living with severe asthma!!
- Meeting and being brought into their fold the baddest bunch of diabetics particularly those we went to In and Out Burger Tripp, Phyllis, Chelcie, Christel as well as Corinna, Sue, Kristen.
- Getting some awesome headshots from Rick Guidotti and becoming a PEARLS Ambassador
- Meeting the fantastic HeV team who go above and beyond to make sure every advocate is happy, healthy and comfortable.
- Lastly spending some awesome time with Mike and Eileen in Dallas. Its not many people I would happily wander through a graveyard with- Eileen!!! I had such an awesome few days with you both and it topped off a great trip!!
For now I want to leave all these photos of friends I made and friends I will hopefully see again perhaps at HeV21 if I get in!!!