Putting the last two weeks into some sort of order.

I started this post about a week ago when I was still in hospital. I was going to finish it and then post but as I am now home I am just going to post it as it is because it’s how I felt at the time. I will write about the last 3 weeks soon once I have my strength and energy back and also concentration!!!

Since I last posted about my trip to London for the launch of the Healthcare Heros Book a lot has happened. I spent an amazing 10 days over in America (which I will write about in a separate post) but this high came crashing around me a few days once I was home which brings me to where I am now. 

I don’t normally write my blog while I am in hospital but I am sitting in my hospital bed, in my side room in the respiratory ward here in Edinburgh listening to the Billy Elliot Musical soundtrack trying to piece together what’s, how’s and why’s of the past two weeks. They have been anything but easy and have left me feeling very scared, vulnerable and quite unsure of what I am doing, what I should be doing for the best.

Returning home from the States I picked up a little tickle I think on the plane back from London but who knows ( I blame the plane because it was disgusting- pictures are being sent to British Airways). Of course I tried to keep going with it and get to the end of the week at work. I managed just despite a small mishap with my car, and left half an hour early but I was feeling horrible by this point not to bad asthma wise but sick wise but Friday I was up all ugh coughing and staying in bed on Saturday I relented and got checked out by Out of Hours. Totally freaking out the poor GP who did her best (not helped by the number of people who feel it is essential to go out and smoke while waiting to see the OOH dr and come back in stinking of smoke making everything for me so much worse. So fast forward- oxygen on, nebuliser on, porter called and GP escorted me to the Acute receiving unit to be checked out. 

In the receiving unit I really didn’t think I was that bad and thought a few hours of nebs, some magnesium and I would be on my way. I think I must have been really not great as I was taken off up to ITU- I thought it was just coz there was no beds anywhere but I now realise it was not because of beds- it’s was because I was not well and had the resus bag to f Olof up to ITU along with the ITU consultant and the respiratory consultant. I should have twigged then but I think I must have been a bit out of it as honestly did not think things were that bad at all. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s